Sunday, April 21, 2013

Strawbery-Almond Cake

I followed this recipe that I found on the internet: http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2008/04/23/strawberry_almond_cake/
 

Well, I almost followed it exactly. I couldn't find the Solo pure almond paste; so, I substituted the pure almond paste for the Solo almond cake and pastry filing. That may have been mistake #1.

I didn't use the Manischewitz potato starch because I couldn't find that either locally. And the potato powder that I purchased from the Asian was granular in texture which might have contributed to mistake #2. Normally that potato powder is very fine.

Mistake #3 was baking the cake too long. The cake was a bit dry and hard at the edges. Next time, I'll cut the baking time down and watch the baking more closely.

The recipe calls for 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and a quart of strawberries. I don't know how many strawberries makes a quart since I didn't purchase a quart of strawberries; I had a larger container. I layered the cake with 2 cups of sliced strawberries. And then smothered the strawberries with the rest of the whipped cream, placed top cake on, and dusted top of cake with powder sugar.


 This is a wee bit too much whipping cream. Where's the cake?


The photo below is of the author's cake, while my cake is the above cake. I did use all of the whipping cream that was called for in the recipe. Looking at the difference in the photos makes me wonder if the author used the total amount of whipping cream that they suggested since their slice looks like less whipping cream.


Lessons to be learned: follow directions...well almost, just minus some cream, omit the grated lemon rind(I didn't like that flavor with the almond), and cut down on the bake time. Will I try this recipe again? You bet! Smother anything with tons of whipping cream and it's delicious enough to eat.

2 comments:

  1. 3 words.... shop at Giant. I know you don't have one. So give me ur grocery list and when I come out this fall I will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where I can find it, just less than 20 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete