Sunday, April 14, 2013

Korean Rice Cakes and Beef Stroganoff

Why rice cakes? And how do I prepare them since they are hard as a rock before cooking? These were just some questions that came to mind when I first saw a package of rice cakes at the Asian grocery store. Rice cakes can easily be used as substitute for wheat flour pasta in many dishes, but how does one cook with them.


Preparing Rice Cakes:
The directions on the package can be a wee bit confusing, but not daunting.
These are my directions, taken from what I could figure out from the package.
Soak the frozen rice cakes in cool water for about 10 minutes. While they are soaking, boil a huge pot of water (same as if cooking pasta). Once the water is boiling, drop the rice cakes in and let them cook for just about 1-2 minutes (until just soft). Now the rice cakes are ready to add into soups, pan fry, or other dishes. I made Spicy Ground Beef Stroganoff with rice cakes.

My Spicy Ground Beef Stroganoff recipe.


1-2 lbs ground beef
10 large white button mushroom, sliced (I like to slice mine with an egg slicer)
1 large diced onion
~8 oz. sour cream
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cayenne red pepper
1-2 tsps. chile garlic sauce
1 cup peas
3 sliced spring onion

Cook ground beef with salt and pepper, then remove beef and leave fat and juices (that adds the liquid needed and flavor).
Cook diced onion until clear in color, about 5 minutes.
Add mushroom and cook to your liking.
Add cooked beef to onion and mushrooms.
Stir in sour cream, cayenne, chile garlic, cook for 5 minutes.
Add more spices if needed, to your taste.
Mix in peas and prepared rice cakes, cook for 5 minutes.
Top with sliced spring onions.


The Spicy Garlic that I used for this recipe I purchased in Asian grocery store. I didn't see any wheat on the list of ingredients. There is corn starch used as the thickener. I'm fine with that since I'm just gluten sensitive, but for those that are Celiac I would omit using this product just to be on the safe side. Enjoy!






2 comments:

  1. peas!!!!! that's sacrilegious to the stroganoffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heehee, just a way to add more veggies to the dish. Plus, I love peas.

      Delete